Surviving the loss of a loved one by suicide is one of the most traumatic, complex and potentially debilitating losses a person can experience.
Whether present at the death or not, suicide can create shock and persisting trauma. The range of thoughts and emotions experienced are extensive and generally very powerful. Disturbing images, sleepless nights with frequent nightmares, combined with intense anger, confusion, an inability to concentrate, waves of hopelessness and a lack of interest in continuing with life may be common. The stigma of suicide in our culture makes processing this grief even more difficult.
Following a loss by suicide, it is important to take good care of yourself in every way.
- Grief is exhausting and you will need to work hard to get plenty of quality sleep
- Eating healthy food will be a key, and simple exercise like walking combined with sunshine and fresh air will help you physically
- For your mental health you will need help with how to think about your loss. Tools are available to help you deal with recurring traumatic images
- Reflecting on the meaning and purpose of your loss will strengthen your spiritual life, and surrounding yourself with a few positive, loving people will provide much-needed support
- Your emotional battery will drain quickly so find ways to charge it regularly by treating yourself and remembering your own worth and value against the background of your loss
- Seek companionship in your grief and take every opportunity to talk about what you are experiencing with people you trust
Our loss by suicide communities are organized when possible around commonalities in the nature of the relationship and the loss. Members with a loss by suicide may want to join this community as well as the community specific to their loss.Join the Community
Not everyone understands what you're going through... we do.
- Loss-specific support communities with virtual gatherings and a private Facebook platform
- Topical workshops on walking through grief & loss
- Podcasts with real people stories and insightful teaching
- Print and video resources to view or download
- Community Calls to check in during the week
- Membership in the community provides access to all of the above!