Loss of connection is about experiencing pain and suffering due to separation, division, estrangement, or the death of a dream, career or goal
Loss of connection is a loss classification that includes a variety of losses, none of which involve the death of a person. Loss of connection is about experiencing pain and suffering due to separation, division, estrangement, or the death of a dream, career or goal. Examples might include relational divorce, breakup, or distancing, or the loss of a job, or loss due to a perceived failure of some kind.
Loss of connection due to societal changes like the recent pandemic are formidable losses.
The inability to be with people you love and care about, especially at sensitive or powerful times creates loneliness and deep pain.
A crushing loss for many is the loss of a treasured pet. Our pets are part of our families and companions that bring joy, friendship and company. They give us a sense of responsibility and thus add meaning and purpose to our lives. Loss of a pet creates strong emotions and feelings of loneliness, abandonment, and emptiness. The loss of a pet community is included in the loss of connection community.
Experiencing a loss of connection, it is important to take good care of yourself in every way.
- Grief is exhausting and you will need to work hard to get plenty of quality sleep
- Eating healthy food will be a key, and simple exercise like walking combined with sunshine and fresh air will help you physically
- For your mental health you will need help with how to think about your loss. Tools are available to help you deal with recurring traumatic images
- Reflecting on the meaning and purpose of your loss will strengthen your spiritual life, and surrounding yourself with a few positive, loving people will provide much-needed support
- Your emotional battery will drain quickly so find ways to charge it regularly by treating yourself and remembering your own worth and value against the background of your loss
- Seek companionship in your grief and take every opportunity to talk about what you are experiencing with people you trust
Our loss of connection communities are organized around similar losses not involving the death of a person, and created based on the extent of need.Join the Community
Not everyone understands what you're going through... we do.
- Loss-specific support communities with virtual gatherings and a private Facebook platform
- Topical workshops on walking through grief & loss
- Podcasts with real people stories and insightful teaching
- Print and video resources to view or download
- Community Calls to check in during the week
- Membership in the community provides access to all of the above!