Siblings and friends may have deep connections
Some of the most precious relationships we have are those we grew up with, or shared meaningful experiences with over a substantial amount of time. Siblings and friends usually have deep connections, and their common experiences may be both positive and negative. Losing someone who knows a lot about you, accepts you without judgment, and loves you without condition is a significant loss of intimacy in your life. As with any relationship, the quality of the bond affects the intensity and character of the grief.
Following the loss of a sibling or a friend, it is important to take good care of yourself in every way.
- Grief is exhausting and you will need to work hard to get plenty of quality sleep
- Eating healthy food will be a key, and simple exercise like walking combined with sunshine and fresh air will help you physically
- For your mental health you will need help with how to think about your loss. Tools are available to help you deal with recurring traumatic images
- Reflecting on the meaning and purpose of your loss will strengthen your spiritual life, and surrounding yourself with a few positive, loving people will provide much-needed support
- Your emotional battery will drain quickly so find ways to charge it regularly by treating yourself and remembering your own worth and value against the background of your loss
- Seek companionship in your grief and take every opportunity to talk about what you are experiencing with people you trust
Our loss of sibling/friend communities are organized when possible around commonalities in the nature of the relationship.Join the Community
Not everyone understands what you're going through... we do.
- Loss-specific support communities with virtual gatherings and a private Facebook platform
- Topical workshops on walking through grief & loss
- Podcasts with real people stories and insightful teaching
- Print and video resources to view or download
- Community Calls to check in during the week
- Membership in the community provides access to all of the above!