Losing a parent can leave you feeling empty, lonely and potentially isolated
No matter the reason or even the amount of advance notice you might have, losing a parent leaves you feeling powerful emotions of emptiness, loneliness and potentially isolation. Healthy parent relationships can provide an umbrella of emotional protection over us, and the loss of companionship when a parent dies may leave us feeling alone and without support. Someone we worked hard to make proud is no longer there to witness our life.
Following the loss of a parent, it is important to take good care of yourself in every way.
- Grief is exhausting and you will need to work hard to get plenty of quality sleep
- Eating healthy food will be a key, and simple exercise like walking combined with sunshine and fresh air will help you physically
- For your mental health you will need help with how to think about your loss. Tools are available to help you deal with recurring traumatic images
- Reflecting on the meaning and purpose of your loss will strengthen your spiritual life, and surrounding yourself with a few positive, loving people will provide much-needed support
- Your emotional battery will drain quickly so find ways to charge it regularly by treating yourself and remembering your own worth and value against the background of your loss
- Seek companionship in your grief and take every opportunity to talk about what you are experiencing with people you trust
Our loss of parent communities are organized by age of the parent, and include communities for loss of a grandparent, as well as a significant person functioning in the role of parent.Join the Community
Not everyone understands what you're going through... we do.
- Loss-specific support communities with virtual gatherings and a private Facebook platform
- Topical workshops on walking through grief & loss
- Podcasts with real people stories and insightful teaching
- Print and video resources to view or download
- Community Calls to check in during the week
- Membership in the community provides access to all of the above!